Thursday, March 7, 2013

Una notta a Roma

Arriving at Fiumicino from Oslo, I had approximately 13 hours to kill before my flight back across the Atlantic the next morning. What could have been an awkward period of waiting or a short, relaxing sedentary vacation at a hotel or hostel turned out to be neither. No, these few hours were meant to be savored, used to their fullest.

Locking my green backpack up at the airport, I made my way to the bus (much cheaper than the rip-off train ride from the airport) which got me to the Ostiense station by 2:30pm. 

Sure it was to be a night of people-less pictures. But it didn't matter. Tonight was a night for the soul. Of exploration. To see as much as I could. Of physical endurance. To walk as far as I could. 



I had covered the Coliseum and St. Peter's Basilica in my last visit. Without any itinerary, I resolved to wandering. Consistent with my philosophy, I refrained from taking pictures inside churches. And in this blog, I've spared you the cliche pics of the Trevi fountain, Pantheon, and Spanish Steps.

Fountain in front of the Pantheon
 
Ignorant of the Roman landmarks, I turned what seemed to me an ordinary street corner only to be surprised by this larger-than-life brilliant white feature: the seat of Italian government, Capitoline Hill

"I pini di Roma" (the pines of Rome): To capture the signature trees of the Roman forum and Capitoline hill; specifically, it is Pinis pinea, or "stone pine" or "umbrella pine", and is the type that produces pine nuts


Crossing back over the Tiber to Trastevere
On Gianiculum Hill, "Roma o morte" (Rome or death)
View of the impenetrable Castel St. Angelo from Gianiculum Hill

3:00am  The bricks of St. Peter's Square rest after another day of trampling
Turning around, a capture of Via della Conciliazione, the avenue given by Mussolini to the Vatican to mark their cooperation. Also empty except for the homeless sleeping in the crevices provided by porticos along the avenue

Marking the end of a memorable three months' trip to the country of my ancestors, I took the Ponte di Vittorio Emanuele II (bridge). It was 4am.  Legs sore.








No comments:

Post a Comment