Monday, August 15, 2011

Quattro semestre d'Italiano (4 semesters of Italian)

A very frustrating thing for Lisa and I, both aspiring Italian speakers, has been Italians’ insistence on speaking English. Most Italians speak English somewhat, and everybody speaks English in the touristy places, which is where we’ve been. Lisa and I usually start our conversations with Italians by speaking in their language. We want to practice and learn the language, but we are not permitted to do so. As soon as they notice a mispronunciation or that you’re talking slow or whatever that convinces them you’re a foreigner, they start speaking English. I’m thankful for the relatively few who bear with me. Just listen to me. Sure, I may have left out an indefinite article, but that does not warrant switching to my language.

No comments:

Post a Comment